View Single Post

Old 04-19-2017, 09:35 PM

Liked 381 Times in 63 Posts
Default Picked up a pre-22 Model of 1950 today

Picked up this interesting revolver today, it's a S&W 45 Caliber Model of 1950, or a pre-22. Serial number is S156***. When, approximately, was this revolver made? The barrel is 5.5", it has the smooth backstrap and a high-polish finish that, at first, made me think the gun was reblued.

After I cleaned off a decade or so of accumulated storage oil, the finish began to look just like the finish on my pre-29, right down to the thinning of the blue at the muzzle. The screw holes are not dished and the markings, albeit somewhat shallow (again, not too different from my pre-29), are still crisp. I'm interested in hearing other opinions, but my initial take is that this is a not a re-blue.

It came with a set of Pachmayr grips, which are now in my parts box as I begin my search for a pair of walnut diamond magnas in shooter condition to match the overall condition of the revolver.

The biggest bummer is the trigger, which at some point was replaced by a flash-chromed, wide, smooth trigger. I have a narrow, serrated, case-colored trigger on its way from Numrich. The hammer also has been bobbed about 1/8" and polished, but I am going to leave it for now because it is not too offensive.

The front sight has had its face painted with some hideous dayglo yellow paint. Any thoughts on how best to remove this? Hoppes #9 had not effect, and I'm reluctant to try anything stronger or to go to a brass or bronze brush, given that the rest of the barrel is in not-too-bad cosmetic condition.

The bore was filthy, but cleaned up nicely. The rifling is the typical 1917 style shallow rifling that is still strong, should be interesting to see how it shoots with hard cast bullets.

All in all I think I got a good deal for $400 out the door.

Last edited by Oregon45; 04-19-2017 at 09:39 PM.
The Following 13 Users Like Post: