View Single Post

Old 04-19-2017, 11:08 PM

Liked 8,861 Times in 3,535 Posts

Many years ago I had so many Remington SP primers fail, both in the firing pin impression and around the annulus (outer rim of primer) resulting in both eroded firing pins and hammer nose bushings, that I stopped using Remington SP primers completely. This was some 45 years ago! I would expect that Remington would have taken some action to correct this problem in such a long time, but there are enough posts citing the same issues with even factory Remington ammunition that obviously they have not! My experience was in several calibers from .32 ACP, .32 S&W Long, .38 Special, etc. Pressure is not the cause of primer failure in these calibers. It doesn't cause split cases either!

For the record I will state that I cannot recall experiencing any primer failures, in any caliber, whether handgun or rifle, with any other brand of primers. I have used Winchester, CCI, Federal, RWS, and small amounts of others such as S&B lately. This includes several hundred thousand rounds of re-loaded ammunition over those 45 years.

Remington is the only brand of factory ammunition that I have observed Nickel peeling on new ammunition that has never been out of the box! Something is wrong with their quality control.