View Single Post

Old 04-20-2017, 03:02 AM
US Veteran

Liked 159 Times in 74 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark Bait View Post
Keep in mind that a home invader's top priority upon entry is to gain control of the occupants. They expect people to be home and know that many have firearms. They are counting on the element of surprise, plus fear. Is is unlikely that you will be able to get to a stored weapon unless it is within arms reach. If you are comfortable with the improbability of being a victim, don't carry. I just don't take mine off when I get home. My wife and kids are used to it. When guests come over I don't carry exposed.
There is great value in investing in strong doors and locking hardware. If they hit the door, you want it to make noise - not splinters. An early warning system if you will. Gives you time to react and take defensive measures. Our doors are solid and the deadbolts are very robust. Not saying that they can't be defeated, but it will take numerous hard and heavy hits to bust in.

In my situation, there is a ground floor and a basement recreation / television room and bath. I don't know where I might find myself if an intrusion was attempted during the day or before bedtime. On the other hand, I think the likelihood of a home invasion in my current residence is generally low to very low. We also have a dog with hearing like NORAD's radar. He will go into his deep serious bark and growl at the first hint of strangers approaching or unusual sounds in the night. When we hear that serious bark, we take it seriously.

So far, I've kept my primary hand-cannon in my bedroom about 4 feet from my sleeping station. My thought is that between the noise created by the door being hit and the mutt going off, I will have ample warning and will have time to retrieve Roscoe and call 9-1-1 to at least get them moving in our general direction. And no, Roscoe isn't the dog's name.