View Single Post

Old 04-20-2017, 06:05 AM
Banned

Liked 4,324 Times in 1,793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BE Mike View Post
Violent crime overall has decreased over the years. That being said, statistics like you posted, don't really tell the whole story.
Actually, I didn't post them. I pulled them out of X's to make a point about how the SD community portrays inside-the-home incidents and markets itself. And frankly, the absurdity thereof.

Here--this is from X and dlombard both. Check out this goofy picture:

They're appealing to a certain market segment that spends money on these things--the home ninja. They portray a horde of marauders, coming for the women. Then they use false notions of machismo to sell the product, whether it's a magazine or a video or a "class".

Take that article, for instance. The third sentence dives right into "rape". And just look at the cooky name collectively invented for the crime: a home "invasion".

Unfortunately, their marketing bleeds through into their tactics. Using that article as an example, it failed to introduce two key concepts. The first being that "the little lady" our masculine hero is so valiantly defending should be a part of the plan--not just passively standing behind the man. That even if they're not going to be armed themselves, that it's maybe a good idea to have a gun accessible to them. Backup's nice to have, and as I'm fond of saying, losing a fight is always on the table.

The other is that, after mentioning the importance of physical security, they fail to mention the classic home defense scenario: the push-in burglary. Why go through all that trouble of kicking in a door, not knowing what's on the other side, when you can ring the doorbell? Not to mention, even regular front doors are hard to kick in--that's why police use battering rams and Halligan bars when they can. But the doorbell gets the door open easily, quickly and quietly, and lets you scope out the situation. With luck the "man of the house" will be the one that opens the door, letting you evaluate your chances and precluding him from retrieving a weapon. Even if he's armed, you're starting the fight with him in arm's reach.

Still--not a word about a "buddy system" for the door, or my personal choice, called "Not Opening the Damn Door".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmark45
I had a noise in the night I couldn't identify so I grabbed my gun and discovered it was my wife who returned to the bedroom at the EXACT same time I figured it out so my gun facing the door way, got pointed at her for a millisecond before I moved it and she freaked. We had a very troublesome couple of days and some nasty conversation about the incident. She almost got fired for her responses and emotional thinking in which she was not listening to me nor getting what I was saying about her requests. I refused to put our house in danger do to her unreasonable requests. She has a loaded gun on her side of the bed and carries too. I mentioned this to my sister and one brother. Naturally my sister sided with my wife and my brother side with me and told my sister she was wrong. My sister is not a gun girl. Once she calmed down, we were able to get it resolved
So let me get this straight. You grabbed a gun, pointed it at your wife before identifying her or realizing that she wasn't in bed next to you, and the fact that she's angry is her problem? Her responses "almost got [her] fired"?

You "refused to put [y]our house in danger due to her unreasonable requests"?

Buddy, the biggest danger to your house right now is you.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: