View Single Post

Old 04-20-2017, 10:10 AM

Liked 3,297 Times in 1,523 Posts

I'm a 41 guy , I have 3 smiths , 2/57's , 1/58 , and a ruger NMBH in 41 with 4 5/8" barrel . I lucked onto that one . I found it on gunbroker . It has had the alloy grip frame changed out to steel ( better balance) , a bomar rear sight installed , red ramp front sight and the nicest action job I've ever had on a ruger . I got it for just over $400 . I like it for a back pack gun , easy to carry , fairly light , handles any load you want to put through it , mild to wild . The trick to shooting a SA revolver is to use the muzzle flip to your advantage , don't try to " tame it " . When it rolls back in your hand , it makes cocking the hammer quick and easy .
I agree with Superman , 8-8.5 grains of unique is a very accurate load with most any bullet 200-230grs . I use 8.5 with a 220 gr WFN bullet I cast myself . I remember reading here that a retired LEO that worked the streets of Baton Rouge , La said his duty load was 8.0 grs of Unique , did everything he ever needed it to .
If I remember correctly , jimmyj said that when he was a LEO and carried a 58 , his favorite load was a 210 gr jacketed bullet on top of 10 grs of Herco as his duty load .