View Single Post

Old 04-20-2017, 05:54 PM

Liked 25 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absalom View Post
Yes, a classic specimen. Pre-early 1960s is right; most with legible date codes on the view mark are late '50s (that's when they were proofed for sale in Britain).

The view mark is found in front of the trigger guard (see photo); on yours, I can't make out anything, it may have fallen victim to the nickeling.

Thanks, Absalom. So this one was probably sent to Britain? Any other probable historical info? I like learning about such things.

Is this what is called a "pre-model-10"?

My late husband told me that these older revolvers didn't have the safety feature to prevent it from firing if accidentally dropped the wrong way, and to be careful not to drop it when it is loaded. Also, to not use +P ammo in it. We never shot it a whole lot, but we did shoot it some and it shoots just fine. I treasure it because it was my daddy's.

I can't look to see whether it has a view mark or not right now because the gun is "put up". When I get a chance, I'll take a better look. I took this photo several years ago, but I can't see any mark in it either, zooming in on my computer.

Again, many thanks for the info. (I love S&W revolvers.)