View Single Post

Old 04-20-2017, 09:59 PM
US Veteran
SWCA Founding Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 6,883 Times in 2,796 Posts

It is my belief that Walter Winans purchased or ordered and received more revolvers than the records at the factory indicate were personally sent to him. Several years ago, I wrote a Journal article about a NM#3 Target revolver, caliber .45 Schofield, serial number 28035, shipped to Winan's dealer, W.C.Scott & Sons, Birmingham, England on Sept 4, 1893. Winan shot a world record target at Bisley in 1897 using a NM#3 Target in .45 Schofield caliber. Unfortunately the serial number of that .45 Schofield caliber revolver was not recorded at Bisley. The gun does not letter as shipped to Winans, just to his dealer. Serial number 28037 does letter as shipped to Winans, and was perhaps in the same shipment as 28035, however. I have notes on several Winan guns, such as ser. #s 28021 through 29024 all were shipped to Winan's order. Many Winan guns have his "W W" after market added on the back strap & the caliber, as that was a convenient way to quickly identify guns he used to shoot in matches. I can well imagine Winans walking into Scott's gun store and hearing " Mr. Winans, your order from S&W has arrived together with a large shipment of S&W Target revolvers" and he replying " I'll take 'em all ! " Ed.
The Following 10 Users Like Post: