View Single Post

Old 04-20-2017, 10:47 PM

Liked 12,802 Times in 4,228 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogersXDm View Post
OK, agreed. Just one bone of contention-

.45 auto is a low pressure cartridge that doesn't wear guns nearly as much as the higher pressure .40 that earlier, manufacturers tried to stuff in their 9mm framed guns (without adequate modification for the greater recoil energy). Don't know about the .357 sig.
Point taken regarding wear-and-tear. I was thinking more of the .40S&W/.357 Sig than the .45ACP. My mistake lumping them all together.

As far as the advantage of .45 over 9mm, I think with modern self defense ammo, any terminal performance advantage is insignificant, based on what I've researched. Now, if I were restricted to FMJ, I would lean more towards .45, but there are still other factors I'd consider more important than caliber (shootability, carry-ability/concealability, etc.). For example, if I had to choose between a Glock 19 loaded with FMJ or a .45 1911 loaded with FMJ, I'd probably lean towards the Glock 19. FMJ ammo in a 9mm Browning Hi-Power vs. a .45 1911, I'd lean towards the 1911 only because I'm much more familiar with the 1911 than the Hi-Power.

Caliber is a consideration, but not the only one, and I'd argue not even the most important one.

Fortunately, I can choose what works best for me, and others can choose what works best for them.

Also, 9mm rules.
The Following User Likes This Post: