View Single Post

Old 04-20-2017, 11:02 PM

Liked 21 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContinentalOp View Post
Point taken regarding wear-and-tear. I was thinking more of the .40S&W/.357 Sig than the .45ACP. My mistake lumping them all together.

As far as the advantage of .45 over 9mm, I think with modern self defense ammo, any terminal performance advantage is insignificant, based on what I've researched. Now, if I were restricted to FMJ, I would lean more towards .45, but there are still other factors I'd consider more important than caliber (shootability, carry-ability/concealability, etc.). For example, if I had to choose between a Glock 19 loaded with FMJ or a .45 1911 loaded with FMJ, I'd probably lean towards the Glock 19. FMJ ammo in a 9mm Browning Hi-Power vs. a .45 1911, I'd lean towards the 1911 only because I'm much more familiar with the 1911 than the Hi-Power.

Caliber is a consideration, but not the only one, and I'd argue not even the most important one.

Fortunately, I can choose what works best for me, and others can choose what works best for them.

Also, 9mm rules.
My friend, if you are familiar with a 1911, you are familiar with a BHP. If you are familiar with both or either/or, you are familiar with an XD .

In any case, its what you are good with that counts, nothing else.

You pick the gun, caliber, and cartridge that fits you best, and thats it.

Beyond that reality of your ability, you have the reality of physics and human anatomy, and a .32 FMJ that punches the descending aorta will beat(in incapacitation) the .44 magnum that misses entirely, every time.

That all being said, a .45 JHP, given equal propensity to expand and good shot placement, will give greater chance for straight line penetration to vitals you aimed at because of its inherent greater sectional density, and will spread bigger to hit more of those vitals given its greater size.

Did I mention that .45 auto was the inheritor of the .45 LC, which itself was the Handgun Cartridge that Won the West, and past that earned its own accolades from the Philippine insurrection to the Sands of Iwo?

Ask Alvin York and Audie Murphy why the .45 auto is the champion!

Last edited by BoogersXDm; 04-20-2017 at 11:04 PM.