View Single Post

Old 04-20-2017, 11:34 PM

Liked 48 Times in 44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcoat3340 View Post
Of course there's the interwebs warning that if you change (improve?) a carry/self-defense gun from straight stock to anything else, and god forbid you have to actually defend yourself, you'll be crucified by the DA for being a cold-hearted, premeditated murderer with a killer gun designed to inflict supernatural physical harm. You can believe that or not....I choose to have a better gun that I can shoot better. YMMV.
This EXACT thing was said to me today at an LGS after discussing wanting to "modify" the trigger on my first Shield.

I've done 500+ rounds, plenty of dry-fire, light polishing of the trigger bar contact points with the sear and USB.

I read somewhere here that S&W would not honor a warranty if internals were polished-- is this true?

I did not take 600gr sand paper to it like others suggested. I did fine emery cloth I had laying around and mag polish. It still leaves me wanting more (Apex sear?) It did improve the feel but not enough as I can't get the holes where I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcoat3340 View Post
S&W Rover said, "I like the trigger on a self-defense gun, particularly one I might carry, to be fairly long and fairly heavy. I do NOT want a light, "like a glass rod snapping," trigger such as is desirable on a range gun."

He got me thinking....what are the trigger weights on my carry guns? So I broke out my cheap-a** spring scale and found: Apex on Shield is just at 4 lbs; the straight stock trigger on my Walther P99cAS is bang on at 5 pounds; and my Sig 320 (Apex straight trigger which does nothing to effect the weight of the trigger pull) is 4.5 pounds.

The SA pull on my wife's Walther PK 380 is just a bit over 4 pounds (absolutely stock) and just for giggles I measured my Walther P4 (which was handy) and it's 4.5 pounds in SA, probably pretty much like it was in 1976 when it was made. (And yes, I need a tow truck to pull the P4 in DA.)

So I guess I'm not feeling too bad about the 4 on my Shield....it seems to be in the ballpark for a couple of unadulterated carry guns. Of course on them what has DA/SA, the DA is pretty much like S&W Rover suggests.
I want to get it to 4.5lbs or so. My DA/SA is advertised at 4.4 and I shoot well with it. Maybe I can't do this striker fired thing.