View Single Post

Old 04-21-2017, 02:16 AM

Liked 155 Times in 70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogersXDm View Post
( the most instructive lesson for me from history is when it came to the close quarters action against the Moro in the Philippines. Forgive me my love of the .45, but the story seems to be that it was more like the Winchester Trench Gun and 00, coupled with the .45 automatic, of course, that came from that particular insurrection which have made a lasting imprint on American history as manstoppers.
That piece of history is what started this controversy in American shooter's minds.

I have my doubts about the story line that the .38 was weak and the .45 solved everything and everyone lived happily ever after. Even before the Philippines there were disgruntled .45 advocates who were just waiting for a chance to criticise the new .38 service round. Fanatical, drugged up mohammedans who wrapped themselves to slow blood loss and who would be tough to stop with any handgun, gave them that chance. The 30-40 Krag firing FMJ RN ammo also had trouble shutting down Moros.

There are just too many inconsistencies regarding this subject. The .36 caliber 51 Navy spawned the .38 caliber cartridge revolvers. The Army bought .36 caliber 51 Navies and later, .44 caliber 1860 Colts and both were used side by side during the Civil War. I haven't read anything about troops ditching their weak .36 caliber 51 Colts for .44 caliber Colts. Both of those revolvers were held in high esteem.

The .38 Long Colt had similar ballistics to the .36 Navy; go figure.

Last edited by jupiter1; 04-21-2017 at 02:19 AM.