View Single Post

Old 04-21-2017, 03:20 AM

Liked 21 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiter1 View Post
That piece of history is what started this controversy in American shooter's minds.

I have my doubts about the story line that the .38 was weak and the .45 solved everything and everyone lived happily ever after. Even before the Philippines there were disgruntled .45 advocates who were just waiting for a chance to criticise the new .38 service round. Fanatical, drugged up mohammedans who wrapped themselves to slow blood loss and who would be tough to stop with any handgun, gave them that chance. The 30-40 Krag firing FMJ RN ammo also had trouble shutting down Moros.

There are just too many inconsistencies regarding this subject. The .36 caliber 51 Navy spawned the .38 caliber cartridge revolvers. The Army bought .36 caliber 51 Navies and later, .44 caliber 1860 Colts and both were used side by side during the Civil War. I haven't read anything about troops ditching their weak .36 caliber 51 Colts for .44 caliber Colts. Both of those revolvers were held in high esteem.

The .38 Long Colt had similar ballistics to the .36 Navy; go figure.
Well, the .38 LC is not the 9mm. That anecdote is not a disparagement on the 9mm, its where the story of the .45 auto began. Not against other americans but against fanatical drugged up jihadists.
They had to take the new (for the time) DA .38 colts out and re-issue SAA revolvers. In .45 LC. By all accounts, this DID perform better in that theater. The .45 auto and the 1911 were the result of that particular experience, the pistol and the cartridge being designed based on the fact that the .38 long colt failed where the .45 long colt succeeded. Thats the reason why we have the cartridge and the 1911. It went on to serve where the SAA was, and for decades most of the record shows it did so admirably, both the pistol and the cartridge.This is a matter of historical record, not a story.

I know I would want my .45 vs. my little pocket .380 or a .38 long colt (similar ballistics), if I was facing the Moro. Or ISIS.But, I'd bet a Browning Hi Power would be good, too.

Better yet, yeah, give me a rifle and a Marine platoon.

Just sayin'.

And yeah, I know the smaller rounds will work, most of the time, hopefully. Especially against the average criminal type. I'm more then happy going about my peaceful life with a .380 or a .38 special snubnose. You need to do your job with much less error, the smaller/lower powered you go, but....... they'll work.

I favor having a .45, however, because its known to stop people even with FMJ. It will make a bigger hole then a 9mm FMJ, and yeah, that doesn't matter if you miss with both, but history is history, and the .45 has a good history, even up to and including my own relatives.

So just call my choice a personal thing.

I love 9mm's in the smaller guns these days for sure. I once had a love affair with the Browning Hi Power.

But a high capacity .45 loaded with some hot +p JHP's is just the thing, for me .

Quote:
Originally Posted by V0OBWxZS16 View Post
The FBI is not a monolithic entity. You should not treat their ballistics and firearms experts with the same distaste you treat other branches of the agency.
Uh-oh. Well, -I- surely didn't mean to disparage the FBI. I was simply venting my personal opinion of them currently based on the Clinton thing. You know, all the ....errrhhmmm.... LYING.
Nothing personal. Just right now, the FBI needs to earn my trust back. I appreciate and respect the work they do,for the most part...... but, um the Clinton thing..... that was my angle about them LYING.

I think that if someone wants to call the conclusion they reached in their recent tests a lie, thats their prerogative.
I don't necessarily think that way, but do take into account that once upon a time these were the guys who thought the 10mm was the be all and end all and they had all the science they could muster at our (taxpayer) expense to prove it, but then they realized they had alot of folks (for whatever reason)that couldn't handle it.
But for those that can handle it, they tend to like it just fine.

Last edited by BoogersXDm; 04-21-2017 at 03:52 AM.