View Single Post

Old 04-21-2017, 07:51 AM
US Veteran

Liked 2,874 Times in 1,186 Posts
Default My New Shield 45 Range Report

I took delivery of it about two weeks ago. Spent some time removing all the factory lube/preservative. There was quite a lot and the slide even felt a bit gritty when worked. Pretty smooth now. The bore was filthy.

Trigger pull was 6 lbs out of the box. Did a little bit of polishing on the connector and a lot of dry fire. After the polishing and dry fire, it is pretty consistent at just a hair over 5 lbs. The trigger is smooth and breaks cleanly. Much better than my Shield 9 was out of the box. I was planning on installing an Apex hard steel sear, but I may not need to.

I must say, it has a very aggressive grip texture, especially on the back strap. Hoping it will smooth out a little over time. If not, Talon Grips here I come.

I bought three extra 6 round mags from Quantico Tactical. Glad I have an UpLula. Very difficult to get the last round in right now. Just part of being new.

I finally got to the range with it yesterday. Recoil is stouter, but no more than my XDm .45 ACP 3.8" Compact. I seem to shoot it better than my Shield 9mm.

I put 216 rounds through it. I tried 3 different brands of FMJ. American Eagle, Fiocchi, and Magtech, all 230 gr. Also 41 rounds of Federal HST, and 25 rounds of Golden Saber. I was expecting at least one FTE or FT feed because it's new, but it ran flawlessly through everything. Not a single blip.

Until I got home that is. Field stripped it for cleaning, and was just starting to wipe down the RSA when it popped apart. No way I could get it back together.

I contacted customer service and they are sending me a new recoil spring assembly.
The Following User Likes This Post: