View Single Post

Old 04-21-2017, 11:43 AM

Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts

I don't worry too much about the burn rings on the front of the cylinder on a day to day basis. I shoot between 200 and 400 rounds per week through my .357 - all .38 special. But I still want to be able to load .357 in the gun and I find that after a couple of weeks, I can't get .357 in there without undue pressure being applied to the base of the cartridge - which tells me that there is excess constriction on the front of the cartridge which could cause excess pressure when it gets fired.

My solution is to spray the chambers down with Ballistol and let it soak for 20 or 30 minutes. I then go back with a brass brush on a short rod in my electric drill and run it back and forth a few times. Since brass is so much softer than steel, I don't anticipate a problem (though I can't prove it won't be a problem over a long enough period of time - give running water enough time and it will erase a boulder). This method does allow me to then drop a moon clip of .357 into the chambers with no restriction, so I am happy.