Thread: Show of Force
View Single Post

Old 04-21-2017, 12:38 PM

Liked 4,624 Times in 1,697 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingriderz View Post
I ran into a retired corrections officer that we go to same church. I told him once we got to know him a bit about our issuses with neighbors trepassing , petty theft , damaging, property the list is endless. Very small town and rural. He gave me some of the same advice. Cameras and lights . What stood out is he said you have to show the force. Open carry on your property. Make a point to clean your firearms where they can see you doing that. Example he said clean out in yard plain view. Also he said set up outside firing range. I have looked into that via county and spoke to S O on that. I am getting a yes from some an no from others. My biggest thing I am not sure this type of show of force is good advice? Property is large wide open chain link fence rual. Your thoughts ?? P s I have always been the conceal is conceal type carrier.
I feel for you in that situation. Unruly neighbors can make life miserable. I had such a neighbor living above me in a condo that we own. We had 9 noise complaints filed against him in less than a year and a half. One night he stomped around over our bedroom at 2am, just after the police (which we called) had left. If he'd known I had a glock 23 on the nightstand that MAY have tempered his tantrum, but I'm way to civil to use it that way.

My wife convinced me that we should move out and lease the place. He did the same thing with our tenants and even stole from their locked storage area in the basement. That was the last straw for them and they moved out in the middle of their lease.

While waiting for the NEXT tenants to move in, I went by to meet a carpet cleaner. The idiot was exiting his car when I pulled up, and started mouthing off about all he was going to do to me. Normally I'd just walked away from him, but now I had enough and turned to face him. This startled him and he stopped in his tracks about 15' away, looked at me for a second, and then slowly reached inside his jacket as though reaching for a gun carried in the crossdraw position while saying "I'll shove this dessert eagle up your... Before he could draw I had cleared my cover garment and had a firm grip on the .40S&W I was carrying at 5:00. He DIDN'T REMOVE HIS HAND from inside the coat, I believe sensing that that movement would be the signal that caused me to draw and fire. He would have been correct.
Instead he chose to slowly back away and entered the building, after which I called the police - again.

Our next tenant turned out to be a State Correctional Officer, and there have been no more problems with the neighbor!

My suggestion would be to install lights and cameras (to record future actions) so you can provide "proof" of their trespassing, theft, etc., if needed. Also, a couple of nasty dogs would be a good topper. I DEFINITELLY don't like the open carry and cleaning guns outside ideas! Too much could go wrong there.

Last edited by Protected One; 04-21-2017 at 12:41 PM.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: