View Single Post

Old 04-21-2017, 02:41 PM

Liked 160 Times in 68 Posts

I have a triple lock i have been researching for a number of years.
it is a MarkI having the full ejector shroud.
it is a three digit, of the 5000 number.
has no caliber marking on barrel but has british pressure proof marks
on cylinder, etc.
It was at some point coming back here converted to .45colt.
On the metal on the backstrap of the grip is a captain's name.
he was in the scottish highlanders, and participated in the battle of the
somme.
I have his burial cemetery with pictures in belgium kia august of 1916.
I have his birth, home address, parents names, went to university of glasgow where he is on the honor roll for the war.
I also have his picture in military uniform, 26 at time of death.
I think he most likely purchased the firearm from the commissary program the british had for officers, attemping to get a copy of the sales order.
Another man's name is in the wood on the butt. He was a corporal, killed in 1918, and buried in a cemetary north of edinbourgh. His unit of the flying corp was in the somme about the time of my captain's death.
I keep thinking maybe battlefield pickup.
I do know that the british would not allow enlisted men to bring weapons home, but allowed officers to do so. They were afraid of labor unrest, and all those men coming home trained. they did not trust their population.
Thus the firearms registration act of 1920, allowing an officer to keep the gun, but could not have or buy ammunition for it.
Gun shoots good too.
My guy could not have had it for very long before he was killed.
since then i have acquired some medallions etc the royal highlanders wore on their caps and shirts.
A LONG time ago my family was just south of glasgow and my family name at one point originates from that area now called stow, scotland.
the other irony is i have a luger p8 artillery, which i traced to hitler's division the bayerische division, which was in the somme battle. The commanding officer of the unit that gun was in was a german relative.
something to me to have two firearms tracable to two men on both sides.
In research, WWII, i found a distant relative flying a focke Wolfe in the air battle for britain, shot down, repatriated to germany, and killed during the defense of berlin. On the other side, a member of the german's and my family that was killed while serving on the H.M.S. hood, when sunk by the bismarck. There is lots to know about these old guns.
as to the military holster for the triplelock, i only have a repro, but it is pretty neat. It had a flap on the back with a button for quick removal, or carry on the belt. Drain hole in the bottom. I also could comment that revolver is just as smooth as can be in double action, or single, truely a well made firearm when craftsmen were still around
I love this stuff, and that's why i just paid five dollars a round to get some live ammo for a mint condition mauser 71/84. A magazine fed rifle in germany when we were still using trap door.
The other item i am fooling with is a 1855maynard cap system springfield made in 1859. I am sure it was used in the war of northern aggression. I have to resolve and get a few parts for the ramrod, and it's gonna get shot too.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 04-21-2017 at 02:48 PM.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: