View Single Post

Old 04-21-2017, 11:57 PM

Liked 25 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absalom View Post
If there is an emergency and +P is all you've got, go ahead, it will not blow up, but otherwise indeed avoid any hot loads.

S&W revolvers do have a safety feature, but it failed in 1944 and killed a sailor, leading to the development of an improved one which yours doesn't have. In normal use, any risk is remote.

Yes, it most likely went to Britain, although other allied countries like Canada are possibilities too. Any surviving markings might or might not provide clues. If you post the serial number from the butt, someone here will give you a decent guess when it shipped from the factory. And it is too early to be a pre-Model 10; those didn't start until 1948 (although this gun does indeed belong in the eventual Model 10's family tree).

Thanks so much for the additional info. I have newer ones, so this one hasn't been loaded in several years.

I still haven't had a chance to take a closer look at the gun, but I had recorded the serial #. It is V458xxx, if anyone knows the approximate date or other info.

Were all of these manufactured specifically to be sent to allied troops in other countries? Thanks.