View Single Post

Old 04-22-2017, 05:55 AM

Liked 807 Times in 341 Posts

I was generally a revolver guy, but gradually became a fan of the 9mm Parabellum. When I first was offered a Browning High Power some years ago, someone on this forum posted a picture for me of a High Power next to a three-inch barreled K-frame S&W. It was an interesting comparison. They are about the same weight, overall length and height, but the HP holds 13 rounds and has no cylinder bulge. Grips fit about any hand and the gun disappears inside a waistband. The barrel is long enough to get decent power out of the 9mm and most loads fall midway between .38 and .357 in power with low recoil and blast. Browning and Saive knew what they were doing. The only power advantage to the K-frame is with full .357 loads, which are rough on your ears and hands. The revolver is probably more mechanically accurate in SA fire, but most shooters will find the HP a better shooter in real-world scenarios. Some revolver shooters can run rings around the majority of auto shooters, but I believe most of us mortals will do better with an auto. I certainly wouldn't feel under-armed with any decent S&W revolver in .38 Special or .357 Magnum, but I think I'm better served with either my BHP or my Glock 17L for field use. The 17L, BTW, compares to a four-inch barreled revolver in the same way that the BHP compared to the three-incher, except that it weighs a lot less, and has the sight radius of a six-inch barreled wheelgun (and 17 rounds, to boot plus the performance advantage of a 9mm from a six-inch tube).
Just some food for thought, and your mileage may vary!
The Following 3 Users Like Post: