View Single Post

Old 04-22-2017, 06:39 AM

Liked 89 Times in 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoboGunLeather View Post
Having carried and used .38 Special revolvers for over 45 years my usual recommendation is to stick with standard velocity ammunition with bullets close to the "standard" 158-grain weight. In the M-36 I would recommend either the 158-grain semi-wadcutter or the 148-grain wadcutter loads. The SWC makes reloading easier and faster (with or without speedloaders) while the wadcutter loads make a formidable defensive bullet at close ranges (actually, I like wadcutters in the chambers and SWC's as back-up ammo). All factory SWC and WC loads feature swaged lead bullets (little or no adulteration of pure lead) which are as soft as possible, generally providing for upset and/or expansion when striking harder materials (such as bone), and limited overall penetration to minimize dangers of damage or injuries beyond the intended target.

Moderate recoil, minimal muzzle blast, minimal muzzle flash, and higher probability of shooting to point of aim. Coupled with reasonable training and continued practice, these factors should provide a good level of confidence in your M-36 for defensive use.
Some sage advice for any 38 Spl. small frame revolver right there. IMO.