View Single Post

Old 04-23-2017, 12:59 AM

Liked 155 Times in 70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott in NCal View Post
I could be wrong on the dates but it seems the P08 im 9mm was introduced in 1904 for the German Army. The Moro uprising was over in 1913. In that 9 years was it possiblle that the US Army took possesssion of any significient number of 9mm lugers, and distributed them to a war in the Phillipines ? Perhaps, seems unlikely though and the Luger collector groups don't mention it. The US did though, in 1900, recieve 1000 7.65 Luger pistols for trial. Could that be what Gen. Sumner was talking about ?
You are right about the 7.65 Luger. That statement was from a June 1903 Annual Report. The 9mm cartridge did not exist at that time......

"Somewhat enamored by then with German weapons, the Bureau procured 2,000 new, technologically-advanced, 9mm German Luger semi-automatic pistols and shipped them to the Philippines. However, as noted with some sarcasm in the June, 1903 Annual Report of Brigadier General Samuel S. Sumner, commander of the Department of Mindanao and Sulu,

The Luger automatic pistol as a hunting pistol and for dress occasions is attractive and useful. I have one which I prize highly, but for field service, in the hands of officers and men, it is a failure. It is too complicated, and cartridges often jam, but the main defect is that the bullet will not stop a Moro."
The Following User Likes This Post: