View Single Post

Old 04-23-2017, 11:10 AM
US Veteran

Liked 6,168 Times in 2,672 Posts
Default Keeping things simple

Lead bullets

I use Lyman's loading data. The starting to a mid-range powder charge will be a safe load. Bullet weight ± 10% is close enough for that starting load. Load data for a heavier bullet will be safe for a lighter bullet.

Jacketed bullets

I use the bullet manufacture's load data if I have the listed powders. When I have suitable powder that is not listed by the bullet manufacturer, the powder manufacturer's load data will give you a starting load based on jacketed bullet weight. Again, at a starting to mid-range load, bullet weight is close enough to safely load. Some bullet manufacturers lump load data for bullet weight together. For example a 150 grain weight bullet, the FMJ, round nose, soft point, spire point, and hollow point bullet all use the same powder charge data. Separate cartridge overall length is listed for each bullet.

Maximum powder charges

Once a mid-range load is tested, the powder charge can be increased in 2% or 0.5 grain intervals and fired for accuracy, pressure signs, and velocity. A chronograph is important for max load development. Shooting several boxes of mid-range loads before doing max load development is prudent. Starting loads are safer and far more forgiving than max loads for the new reloader.