View Single Post

Old 04-24-2017, 09:32 AM

Liked 9,428 Times in 4,226 Posts

Superman,

While you never have to justify (at least to me) building a gun for yourself to use (bonus points if it's a 327 FM) I really enjoyed your story. I believe I still have the original barrel and cylinder for the 66 ND that was the foundation for Project 616, but it's a moot point since I don't plan on ever "de-converting" it, and when I'm gone I'll no longer care! I really like the classic look of that 6" target weight no under lug barrel, and the overall look of your finished gun is spot on... it looks like it came from Springfield that way.

The big question now is where we will be able to get work done to continue this "cottage industry." While suitable barrels show up sporadically, I am unaware of anyone doing a rebore for the project. Cylinders are less of a problem as not only are factory 17/617 cylinders fairly abundant, but the Hamilton Bowen "blank" cylinders are also out there as well. I'm guessing Andy will continue doing his fine work on them even though Hamilton has quit doing S&W conversions in favor of R***rs. No doubt there are other fine gunsmiths out there willing and able to do the same, so the limiting factor seems to be the barrel modification. For those thinking of lining a barrel, Andy told me when mine was done that he didn't trust a relined barrel for the high pressure of the 327, but some less cautious souls may feel differently. I can't really judge on that one way or the other.

Anyway, I want to once again congratulate you, SuperMan, for a job well done. Yours was a project with vision and purpose and you were quite obviously willing to make a commitment to make your dream come to life. Well done, my friend.

Best regards,
Froggie (Father of Project 616)

PS Andy had to make a slightly taller front sight for mine as well... that fast stepping 327 is just naturally going to shoot a little higher; in fact even with 32 S&W Long it's good to have the added range of adjustment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Charlie's Custom .327--3_1024x683.jpg (121.7 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by Green Frog; 04-24-2017 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Add PS
The Following 4 Users Like Post: