View Single Post

Old 04-24-2017, 10:45 AM
US Veteran

Liked 14,343 Times in 5,470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Bob View Post
I have a S&W Perfected just like the one you have in the pic and have never shot it. I had a gun smith look at it once and he told me not to shoot it because it was so old. He had never seen one before and was not aware that Smith ever made such a model.
Isn't it interesting that a gunsmith who did not even know that S&W built a 38 Perfected model can make such a blanket statement about the gun being too old to shoot??? These are the kind of people I keep away from! All 38 Perfected revolvers were made in the Twentieth Century, from 1909 to 1920, and were designed and built to shoot modern smokeless ammo.

While we are on the subject of bullets for the 38 S&W, one first needs to know what revolver we are talking about. Solid frame British 38s or top-break S&Ws. I think the answer is different for each type. Top break 38 S&Ws are manufactured to use a .360"-.361" LEAD bullet and not a .357. Will it shoot, absolutely, but why not use what a gun was designed to shoot? I once made the mistake of loading a 38 M&P with 32-20 ammo. Did it shoot absolutely. Did I ruin the brass, absolutely. Did it hit a 20 yard target, absolutely. Does that mean I should shoot 32-20 ammo in a 38 Special revolver - absolutely not!!

First problem with smaller bullets, if you use the proper 38 S&W dies, is that they are likely to drop right into the case. If you use 38 Special dies, you run the risk of weakening the brass and splitting is a real concern. Second problem is that the .357 bullets will not properly engage the rifling, resulting in limited or no spin. Hollow base .357 may expand enough to grip the rifling, but solid lead bullets will not expand in the relatively weak 38 S&W powder charge. Last problem is that the use of jacketed bullets add pressure to the revolver and top break revolvers are low pressure guns. There was no factory ammunition for top breaks with jacketed bullets and I do not believe they should be shot in a 38 top break.

A simple rule I follow so I never get in trouble - shoot the ammunition or reload with components that the model was designed to shoot.

Last edited by glowe; 04-24-2017 at 10:47 AM.
The Following 4 Users Like Post: