View Single Post

Old 04-25-2017, 12:34 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 9,963 Times in 3,661 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcvs View Post
I believe it to be .32-44 S & W Gallery, but will wait for the factory letter to arrive to confirm.
.32-44 S&W Gallery is one of two LOADS available in that cartridge (.32-44 S&W). The gallery load is a round ball seated deep within the case. The specifics: A 50 grain ball in front of 6 grains of powder. The regular load is an 83 grain round nose bullet with 11 grains of powder----also seated within the case---almost. (It pokes out of the top of the case about .040".)

As noted by another, all the NM #3 trigger guards are case hardened. I have two pampered specimens with clearly visible "case colors"---two others gone to gray. It is my distinct recollection the top of the trigger guards on all of them show rather bright colors. The removal of one screw gives you the top of the trigger guard.

As an aside, the specifics for the .38-44 S&W cartridges are 146 grain round nose bullet ahead of 20 grains of powder (regular), and a 70 grain ball in front of 6 grains of powder (gallery)----both seated within the case.

And those are the ONLY two cartridges to be found within the NM #3 Target series. They were always chambered in one or the other----never in anything else. ALL the books will confirm that---never mind I have one (#3914) chambered in "38 WINCHESTER CTG" (.38-40). (This is but one of several reasons we're not supposed to say "always" and "never" when we talk about Springfield's finest products.) And having said all that, it is my somewhat dim recollection this gun isn't a NM #3 Target (per se), but a NM #3 with target sights----and one of several within a specific serial series all in .32-44 S&W----which is to say its serial number is outside the NM #3 series range-----yes?

And if you're lucky, your letter will tell you the caliber of your gun. If you're like me, they won't have the first clue what the caliber is. The only good news on my .38-40 is "It appears to be a special order for one unit-------------." (And seeing as how the only thing "special" about this gun is the caliber, I'm satisfied-----sort of----more like resigned to my fate-------GGGGGGGGGGAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGHH!!!!!!!)

Ralph Tremaine

AND-----a "light box" (store bought or home made) will give you SUPERB photos of nickel guns (also of blue guns----and any other finish you can imagine)---if/when the camera/lighting placement is proper---and if/when all of the other myriad variables about which I know absolutely nothing are also "proper". (Bill Cross can tell you how to take merely SUPERB pictures of guns. And if he can't, he can tell you who takes his pictures for him. Either way, you'll be talking to REALLY GOOD picture takers!!)

Last edited by rct269; 04-25-2017 at 01:28 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: