View Single Post

Old 04-25-2017, 08:26 PM

Liked 5,410 Times in 2,729 Posts

FWIW, I spent decades with an issue sight with a 4/4.5 MOA dot. Close range/CQB only. The cotton picking dot looks the size of a dinner plate at anything over 100 yards.

Yes, resolution of a 2 MOA dot can be an issue for some folks ( and a 3 MOA dot hard to find), that said, read on.

The point everyone is ignoring is optical bloom. This is where the dot appears to be (and measures such on the target) larger than the specified size. Some of this is due to not being able to perfectly match dot intensity to lighting conditions at all times. The other part is the makers being fuzzy as to how they measure that dot in the real world. So, 2 MOA is a minimum dot size, not a constant size.

Unless you actually have night vision equipment, you might be happier finding a sight that doesn't waste brightness selections on being NV compatible. For example, with a ten position switch, one will be "off". If you then use several for NV use, the brighter ones may be useful in low light, but the very dim ones aren't. That compresses the intensity choices for daylight. This increases your chances of having a choice between too dim and brighter/larger than needed.

I've had an Aimpoint 3000 since the 1980's still works fine. The PRO is an outstanding value for money, but does suffer from the NV compatibility issue. I can fine tune the 3000 much better to ambient daylight. 2 MOA will be a more versatile optic.

Last edited by WR Moore; 04-25-2017 at 08:27 PM.