View Single Post

Old 04-25-2017, 10:02 PM

Liked 597 Times in 332 Posts

This topic I find very intriguing. Basically I was the guy who got a revolver and at one time had the opportunity to handle a custom revolver that an action job that made my eyes light up like a little kid and a little kid I am not LOL

The strain screw (with no offense, Chief38,rwsmith I hope you don't think any less of me) continues to be taboo for some and completely acceptable by others as means for adjustment on the mainspring, and from experience a half turn can cure an ignition problem. I don't fully understand why there isn't a preloaded spring under the head shoulder so that it is adjustable within a small range where as the preloaded spring will hold tension on the screw to keep it from moving in or out. There could even be a small locking nut inside the grip frame to secure the strain screw once adjusted.

There can be some ill effects from adjusting the strain screw because it does effect the arch of the mainspring and that then can actually bind on the grip screw that passes through the grip frame. I ran into this problem once on an aftermarket grip where the grip screw was located in such a position to interfere with the mainspring.

There is obviously enough variance in the energy it takes to ignite primers, there is variance too in primer seating depth. For a gunsmith to do a trigger job for perhaps someone who does not know of all these variables but wants an improved action job it might just be best to have 'a little room' for adjustment in the strain screw.

Here is something pretty cool, you won't need a new strain screw to get more tension on the mainspring.This tool will mill the pocket slightly deeper so you can set the screw deeper, and speaking of that I just wonder on the variables on all the revolvers on the actual depth of this pocket that it sets into? This area could be a contributing factor to why some guns have nicer pulls than others.
Strain Screw Tool

Another interesting read here:
Smith & Wesson mainsprings: a little-known problem. - www.GrantCunningham.com www.GrantCunningham.com
I guess I am enchanted with the mechanics of a great trigger job and still learning all I can and keeping an open mind

Riverkilt, I am sure you are pretty impressed with the action job/trigger job on your gun, from my experience the half turn on the strain screw made little to no difference to what you felt but may easily cure your concern on ignition. I wish you the best to get it 'tuned in' for your type of shooting.

Sorry, long winded on this but really find it interesting.
Karl

Last edited by ontargetagain; 04-25-2017 at 10:10 PM.