View Single Post

Old 04-25-2017, 11:09 PM

Liked 248 Times in 127 Posts
Default A true, full length resizing die?

I recently ran into a "new" problem, after several years of hand loading. I have a new Springfield EMP 4 in 9mm that will not feed 80% of my hand loads. I am using the Hornady titanium nitride 9mm die set. Any and all of my loads made with this sizing die have always worked/fed into any of my 9mm pistols...until now. It seems that the die is not a true FL sizer. There is a small bulge/ring around the case approx. 3/16" up from the base. It happens with any headstamp brass. I have the die/press set according to manufactures recommendations IE, base of die hitting shell plate with just enough pressure to slightly "deflect" the plate. Strangely, some rounds function normally. The bad ones fail to seat in my case gauge. Running them through a Lee FCD helps about 30% of the ones that fail the first (sizing die only) time. The rest will not feed. It makes for a pretty serious jam-up. Jacketed or lead, no matter.
Again, all produced ammo feeds in all my other 9mm pistols. Do I need to have a smith open up the chamber a .001" or so? Or do I need a true FL sizing die? Does such an animal exist?
This is the first time I have run into anything like this.

Thanks!

Last edited by Ceapea; 04-26-2017 at 08:25 PM.