View Single Post

Old 04-26-2017, 10:13 AM

Liked 104 Times in 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by glowe View Post
Who are "they"? Most do not call these fine little revolvers "Lemon Squeezers" and neither did the company. To many, the term denotes inferior quality brands and copies, but not S&W. They are simply Safety Hammerless revolvers offered in 32 S&W and 38 S&W calibers.

The Safety models were made well into the Twentieth Century with no design changes and the company actually made statements that these guns were safe with smokeless powders in the early 1900s. Besides, the companies that manufacture ammunition, load to the same ballistics as the original BP rounds, and most likely to even lower pressures than original ammo. The 32 Safety was manufactured until 1937 and the 38 Safety was made until 1940.

There is only one correct load for BP in the 32 & 38 S&W cartridges and if you do not know how to reload a BP cartridge, you would do well to research the topic first. Black powder is a potentially dangerous powder if used incorrectly. It is about the only propellant that can blow up your gun if you use too little in a case, leaving an air space. You must always fill the case to 1/16" above the base of the seated bullet, but decisions on powder type & size, bullet weights, lead purity, crimp, primer, etc. All need to be known before attempting to reload. BP is not just another powder, but requires care and knowledge to get right. There are lots of smokeless reloading tables out there that give you accurate and safe formulas for reloading these calibers and the end result will leave your revolver a lot easier to clean than with BP, with no corrosive residue.
Thanks and that is how I have seen them referenced - so i thought it was applicable to all version and makes of top breaks.

Also thanks for the info on reloading, of which I have been doing for about 25 years. Loading for old damascus doubles in BP with 2.5" shells up to and including for my M1's etc.

I realize that there are tables out there and I realize that more research on a load can be done - i was just looking for a quick thought, is it 12 grains of FFFg 15 etc?

I would however not be too comfortable loading a smokeless propellant in the pistol is the round was designed for BP. Dunno just me.

thanks again