View Single Post

Old 04-26-2017, 05:54 PM

Liked 1,653 Times in 809 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzas View Post
This is what I don't understand. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

Folks tend to say that .38-44 should only be used in N frame revolvers or .357 -chambered guns, including K and J frames. This may have been true before S&W changed the heat treatment in the '30s, but in modern revolvers, I can't figure.

Now from what I've read the .38-44 is on the order of 25,000 psi (+P+ pressure) while the .357 is 35,000 psi. Also, I have read that the metallurgy and heat treatment is the same between the magnum and non-magnum frames, simply, the K frame is just the frame. the only difference is the cylinder, i.e. chambers.

So, my question is- how do people recommend shooting .357 in K frames or .38-44 in .357 K frames but not in a modern (model-numbered) .38 special revolver?

If the frame is exactly the same, how is a .38 special +P+ somehow more damaging and/or dangerous to a model 10 than .357 is to a model 13?
Supposedly the heat treatment is different, but that does not make much sense as far as production costs. Employees from Ruger have stated that all Ruger revolvers get the same standard. I would think we would get the same answer from a Smith employee willing to stick their neck out.

I knew a detective 4 decades ago that carried factory 38-44 in his model 36. He didn't shoot it regularly, but it was his carry ammo. He was involved in at least one shooting with it, and his 36.
The Following User Likes This Post: