View Single Post

Old 04-29-2017, 07:02 AM

Liked 4,301 Times in 2,112 Posts

I cannot disagree that many of us are probably too concerned about consistency. However the science of statistics is quite well proven and if one can observe a variation of +/- 1/10 grain statistics will show that the outliers at the very edges of the Bell Curve can be 1/2 grain or a bit more. With some powders and calibers a 1/2 grain deviation can be something to be concerned about.

It's why I've taken the time to run capability studies on the powders I load with and have noted the Standard Deviation for each powder used in my RCBS Competition powder measure. It really isn't that difficult because nearly every scientific calculator today features statistical functions, all you have to do is note the weight of each charge throw to the nearest 1/20 grain. Throw 30 to 50 charges, run them through your calculators Stat function and you can then record that SD for future reference. BTW if you want to know the extremes considered "normal" multiply the SD by 6 and you'll have the spread of that bell curve for 100 throws. In other words a deviation of +/- 3 x SD will capture 99.73 % of the total potential range of weights thrown. If you want to go a bit overboard using 4 x SD will capture 99.994 of the total potential range. what it boils down to is that out of 10,000 charges thrown you'll have 27 charges that exceed 3 x SD or 1 in 370 thrown charges will exceed 3 x SD.

So, suppose you have a powder that produces a SD of 0.17. That doesn't sound like a lot at first blush. However when you multiply that number by 3 you have 0.51 grains. This means that if you load 370 cases it is nearly certain that one of those cases will have a powder charge that is 1/2 grain light or heavy. Think about it. If you are loading 38 special with a powder charge of 2.7 grains of Titegroup what could happen with that 2.2 grain powder charge. Might be at risk for a squib.

BTW, in my powder measure both Unique and Longshot produce a Standard Deviation of 0.17. Which is why with these powders I hand check every single charge thrown. It's also why nearly every handgun powder I have in my possession features a Standard Deviation of 0.05 or less. The only reason I have Longshot is because it performs so well in the 40 S&W and allows me to produce a practice ammunition that matches the ballistics of the 165 grain Speer Gold Dot I carry. BTW a 165 grain bullet moving at 1150 fps isn't something I would call Short & Weak.