View Single Post

Old 04-29-2017, 08:29 AM

Liked 28 Times in 17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee's Landing Billy View Post
Placement and penetration....repeat 1,000 times.
This. Shot placement and sufficient penetration are paramount, all else is secondary.

All handguns are relatively poor 'stoppers' regardless of caliber or bullet used.

Barring a hit to the CNS, the only way to stop a determined and aggressive BG is shutting down the brain due to oxygen deprivation caused by blood loss. Even a solid hit to the heart can leave 10+ seconds worth of oxygen in the brain, plenty of time for the BG to plant daisies in your hair.

Show me a caliber/bullet that can alter the outcome of the encounter in my favor (ie: incapacitate the BG due to blood loss *before* he can inflict serious/lethal damage) significantly better than any other caliber/bullet and I'll start carrying it tomorrow. Otherwise, it doesn't matter if 'bullet X' causes the BG to expire in the ambulance while 'bullet Y' causes him to expire in the ER.

All that matters is stopping the attack before he can inflict serious/lethal damage, anything else is irrelevant.

I doubt a determined & aggressive BG could tell the difference if shot w/any quality .38/9mm/.40/.357/.45 SD rd.

With all that being said, I carry 9mm as the best combination of controllability, capacity & terminal effectiveness.

Tomac