View Single Post

Old 04-29-2017, 08:31 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidnne View Post
I've run into another issue with my SD40VE. I've got around 1,600 rounds through it, and after my most recent trip to the range this week, the takedown lever stays depressed after putting the slide on. When I pull the trigger (dry-firing of course) the slide comes right off. If the slide is pulled back and cocked, then the slide stays on, because the trigger needs to be pulled in order to takedown the sdve. What appears to be happening, is the guide rod is hitting against the takedown lever and preventing the lever from coming back up and locking the slide on.

After examining, and comparing to a friend's sd40ve, I noticed that there are supposed to be tabs in front of the takedown lever, which apparently stop the guide rob from touching the takedown lever. On mine, those tabs have broken off.

I did install a Galloway stainless steel guide rod with a 20 lb spring, but I installed that at around the 200 round mark, so I've fired around 1,300 rounds with the Galloway guide rod installed.

I'm pretty sure my only option is to send it in to S&W for repair/replacement. But, I was curious if anyone else has experience this issue, and also to make others aware of the issue and to keep an eye on those tabs. They don't appear to be very sturdy and look to break off very easily.

I've included photos that show what I'm talking about:

I just got my SD40VE and the take down lever was so hard to pull down I got an extended lever to replace it. When I depressed the spring it stayed down and now I can't get it back up. I already replaced the trigger and springs with the Apex set so I'm sure no warranty. I have modified my Bodyguard and Glock so I know how. My question is has anyone replaced the spring for the slide lock? I don't look forward to removing the trigger and guts again. One other question, on my Glock the little tab on the slide lock lever faced the rear of the gun, is it the same on the SDVE. I got stainless guide rod and 20# spring but after reading these posts I think I will leave the stock one in.
Thanks for any help.

Last edited by patz; 04-29-2017 at 09:03 AM.