View Single Post

Old 05-01-2017, 08:01 PM

Liked 7,764 Times in 2,129 Posts
Default THE Texas Rangers holsters

From what we know of the dozen or so makers of what we nowadays call a Brill holster, it appears it was made only in Texas and predominantly for the Rangers; odd because it was never a particularly large force. And there being so many players during that time, not all of them in Austin by any means, I have taken to referring to the style as a Texas Rangers holster.

Here's one of the several makers in Texas: an L.A. Sessums, this one having the moulding inside of a DA revolver and appearing to be for a Colt Police Positive in 4" because my K frame M&P is still too large for it.

Most interesting: I bought it here in Australia! Seller has no idea how it got here, having bought it himself from an unpaid storage auction. It does not strictly adhere to the Brill originals: it has a single, lightweight welt vs the triple, very thick welts found in Brills and its faithful copies. Otherwise it is so faithful to the particulars of Rabensburg and Brill that I find myself wondering if there wasn't an actual specification for it; case in point is the slick-grained thin leather half-liner that is found in ALL makers' copies of the era -- and that must have been to protect the trousers because it does nothing for the pistol, being only next to one side of the cylinder.

IMG_2003.JPG

IMG_2004.JPG

Last edited by rednichols; 05-01-2017 at 09:23 PM.
The Following 27 Users Like Post: