View Single Post

Old 05-01-2017, 11:33 PM

Liked 4,189 Times in 1,864 Posts

My exposure to high power rifles has been mostly directed to target rifles. Back when I was whole, I started with an M1903A3NM, graduated to an M1MkII, then an AR. I managed to earn my NRA XTC Master classification with the AR. My AR service rifle is a post ban Colt Match Target A2 with a 1:7 twist. I would shoot magazine length 77gr SMK out to the 300 yard line. At the 600 yard line, I preferred 80gr SMK loaded singly. I was told to expect a target accuracy life of about 5000 rounds.

After my accident, I built a 1:8 twist Frankengun AR with the intention of shooting 1000 yard F class. That is still a work in progress.

Over the course of about 25 years and numerous discussions in the pits at Perry, the concensus has been that for service rifle competition, either a 1:7 or 1:8 barrel is a necessity in order to be competitive at the 600 yard line. For me, a 1:9 barrel just can't be competitive beyond the 300 yard line.

This summer, I am looking at adding a twist to my shooting. Having been a right handed shooter all my life, I am looking to shooting my AR match rifle and service rifle left handed, because I need to get back on the game I have grown up with.