View Single Post

Old 05-02-2017, 12:21 AM
US Veteran

Liked 1,549 Times in 556 Posts

For me, an AR is an AR is an AR. I've owned a number of them from Colt, Ruger, etc. (The Sterling AR-180 doesn't count, but in my mind it was a much superior rifle.) The only AR-15 platform I have now is a cheapo ATI Omni Hybrid with a 1:7 twist rate. I don't expect it to be an MOA bullseye rifle, and it isn't. Just as I don't expect it to last forever, unlike my expectations for my hand-built Marlin-Ballard .22 lr Schuetzen rifle.

Though I've nailed my share of deer with an AR, I have long since relegated them to varmint control, both four- and two-legged varieties. The Omni came in quite useful about 4 hrs. ago when I spotted a big ol' raccoon staggering (obviously diseased with who-knows-what) down my fence line. I don't even recall offhand what loads are in it right now, but I flipped on the reflex optic, set on the finest green dot, popped it off safe and planted one in it's neck at 75 yards.

The raccoon didn't care what the twist rate of the barrel was, nor the bullet weight or it's composition. And I guess I don't much care, either. It did what it was supposed to do with decent accuracy, and that's all I can ask of it.

Now, that Marlin-Ballard, and my bolt guns... well, they're an entirely different story.