View Single Post

Old 05-02-2017, 10:48 AM
US Veteran

Liked 14,360 Times in 5,474 Posts

I believe you have a 2nd Model and not a 3rd Model, probably shipped around 1890 as stated above. There were about 37,000 of this model made. The barrel length appears to be 5”, of which about 13% of the total production of all Safeties were 5”. Check out the image below for all standard barrel lengths of the 38 Safety.

ADDED: I guess I should have identified the barrel lengths for these Safeties - Top to bottom: 6", 5", 4", 3 1/4", and 2".

The initials might also be a prior owner’s initials, a company identification, or any number of other options. If you acquire the gun and are feeling lucky, a factory letter might tell you that the gun went directly to a person with those initials.

As for value, I wish that these revolvers would command more money and get the prices they deserve, but not the case yet. I am buying 38 Safeties in blue finish, similar to the condition of your example for $350. If nickel, usually less, BUT the original pear stocks will bring it back up to maybe $375. Depends on how badly you want the gun, but I would offer something south of $400 and pretend to start walking if the shop doesn’t come up with a counter-offer. You can be sure they currently have the price at what they think is high retail, so do some negotiating. Good luck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010007.jpg (84.4 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by glowe; 05-03-2017 at 09:19 AM. Reason: added content
The Following User Likes This Post: