View Single Post

Old 05-02-2017, 04:40 PM

Liked 7,746 Times in 2,127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawandorder View Post
..........known for their individuality. They are not and have never been a uniformed agency. Issue items have included armaments and other hardware but any there is no indication known of issuance of gun leather. For the most part left up to personal taste and the old what works for me method.

Of course many visited the same saddle shops and purchased gun leather from the same makers.

For great information about this famed LE agency visit the Texas Ranger Hall of Fame website. Lots of images there and elsewhere on the web that illustrate the Rangers dress and equipment.
Though I'm not suggesting that there was an "issue" holster for the Rangers, we do know that Capt. Hughes had what we know as a Brill developed for the Rangers in 1907 because cities were complaining about them bristling with gunbelts. It appears that around that time the Rangers also switched to the 4-3/4" barrel SAA from the 7-1/2", in comparing late 19th century pics of them with early 20th century pics. The latter comment is deduction but for the former (the holster) we have testimony.

When I said, I wonder if there was an actual specification, I am thinking of all these makers having used a very thin lining leather only on the fender, when other holsters were not lined in that era (something we take for granted today) including Myres' Threepersons range.

Even Hamer has been pictured wearing the Texas Rangers holster :-).

Last edited by rednichols; 05-02-2017 at 04:41 PM.
The Following 7 Users Like Post: