View Single Post

Old 05-04-2017, 02:35 PM

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

Wow, i didn't have time to check back in a few days. Thanks all for the comments and suggestions!

I went with the tighten down hard method and all worked well. Went through all the rest of the cases just fine knocking out all the primers without issue.

A couple of comments to respond to others:

So far I have only used Lee dies. No issues at all save this issue, and it was just an experience issue. I have read many reviews and most say lee are the same quality as any of the other brands. That being said, when i buy my next set of dies, i will try another brand of the heck of it!

I clean with with primers in because I had read many different articles looking at both points of view, before decapping and after. Ultimately, I chose to clean with primers so that I don't have to worry about media getting stuck in the primer hole, and I know the cases won't gum up my dies. Honestly I think its 6 to one, 1/2 dozen to the other there.

As for cleaning the primer hole... I inspect every casing after they are clean. I do so after cleaning so I know I can see all cracks, bulges, or other things that would make me toss that brass out. After decapping, i typically do a once over on them with a hand cleaning tool (i put it in a drill) and only clean any that look to be excessively dirty. Most look fine.

I don't load enough to warrant the purchase of all the extra dies. And I go through the set process each time to make sure its correct. I look at it as a safety issue. I am loading explosive powder and caps into a casing with a bullet that would certainly hurt if something went wrong. Might as well take the extra minute or two to make sure everything is correct. Some might poke fun at that, but... this process so far has worked for me!

Again, thanks for all the responses. I don't post here much, but whenever I do, there are plenty of people around who offer help. Great community!