View Single Post

Old 05-05-2017, 07:12 AM
US Veteran

Liked 14,217 Times in 4,509 Posts

JMHO, but I think the reason why there aren't more threads about the SW1911 guns -- of which there are several variations, each with its own appeal -- is that the Third Generation pistols cover such a wide range of combinations of caliber, size and action, and do it so well. Compared to them, the SW1911s came later to the party, and while they are a worthy design and excellent quality at an attractive price compared to other makers' offerings, there is more to compete with out there. The Third Generation guns are really a world unto themselves in that regard, and on a Forum like this one, the volume of talk about them compared to the SW1911s reflects a much greater number of owners. Again, JMHO, and no slight intended toward the SW1911 guns (which I, even as a confirmed Third Gen guy, have been tempted to begin dabbling in... ).

BTW, IRT a previous post: from what I've read, John Browning himself was the one who first improved his original 1910 design of the 1911 by later incorporating an external extractor.