View Single Post

Old 05-05-2017, 03:14 PM

Liked 548 Times in 311 Posts
Cool Anybody remember?...

I recall a broadcast news program I watched back in the early 90s (could have been late 80s) that featured a story on gun safety and children. It was the story of a study that took place in a day care setting. There were two groups of children who participated: One group consisted of children whose parents didn't own guns, hated guns, etc, leading to children being raised in gun-free homes with little to no gun safety education. The other group came from families that owned guns, etc. Inside the day care play area, they hid a bunch of allegedly inert handguns. They brought the group of children who were being raised with guns around first. Shockingly, when the children encountered a handgun, most of the time they left it alone and ran and told an adult. Of the group who was raised in gun-free households, there was sheer surprise and joy when they found the guns. Something new. There was gun handling, gun pointing - basically the type of gun handling that we teach our kids not to do.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else recalled seeing that piece. And even better, knew if it was online somewhere. I believe the news show was Dateline, but it could also have been 48 Hours. My take on it at the time was, that the results that were aired were not the results that the broadcast company had hoped to show. That might explain why no one seems to recall the piece.