View Single Post

Old 05-05-2017, 10:03 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 6,743 Times in 2,526 Posts

Turnerriver: Those are a couple of nice Mausers. The big one is commonly called 'wartime commercial' and they dated from late 1914 to 1918. They're distinguished by the safety burr being solid and not bored through. They also don't have the 900 meter sight setting on the rear sight ( I wonder if the 900 meter setting was EVER used?). On the left vertical flat of the barrel extension, by the chamber there should be the proof mark: crown over crown over U. On the right side at the same place there may be a little mark; a crown over a gothic letter. If so, this is the German military acceptance mark and shows the pistol was accepted for service in the German Army in WW I as many of them were.

The other pistol is a post WW I bolo, with a SN range of probably about 400K through 700K, made from 1919 to 1927. They were made under the supervision of the Inter-Allied Control Commission established by the Treaty of Versailles. The commission required that pistols be under 8mm in caliber and have barrels not longer than 100mm, a whisker more than 4 inches.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: