View Single Post

Old 05-05-2017, 10:18 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 9,967 Times in 3,664 Posts

Nobody asked, and some/all of this may have been treated whenever this was discussed previously (if it was).

This is a 1st Model frame (two pins). It will letter as a 2nd Model (by virtue of its serial number). The only reason a 1st Model frame was used is because they had some laying around----no harm, no foul. ANY 6" 2nd is a RARE duck----never mind an odd-ball configuration. If the EXACT SAME gun (EXACT SAME configuration) were numbered outside the 2nd series (typically seen with serials in the 20000's) it would letter as a 1st Model. Some folks are fond of referring to such odd balls as "transitional" models---and that's what they are if "transitional" translates to using up old/leftover parts-----which it doesn't.

Any/all 6 & 8" 2nd Models will carry 1st Model barrels (those marked Model of '91). Some (few) 10" 2nd's will also carry 1st Model barrels (identical except for the markings). And as noted earlier, some of these (now .22 rimfire) barrels started life as centerfire barrels. I've never seen one of these sleeved barrels, and am more than a little curious/impressed with how they may have done that deed. (All the top-break SS .22 barrels are bored on what I'll call a bias--so as to place the rimfire cartridge rim under the centerfire hammer/firing pin. I suspect they bored out the centerfire barrels concentrically---and stuffed a bias bored .22 liner inside----veeeeeeeeeeery carefully.)

Ralph Tremaine

A belated thought: If you're ever inclined to think poorly of the folks for making these top-break SS's "on the cheap" (by using existing centerfire revolver frames/actions) as I have, think again. If you get the chance to compare some minty examples of either centerfire and rimfire SS's, or of the parent centerfire revolvers and their SS offspring, you're going to see they went an extra mile with the rimfires-----and they didn't have to (works fine either way). What you'll see on the centerfire firing pins is a rounded tip. Not so on the rimfires!! Those tips are FLAT-----with SHARP edges-----maybe sharp enough to cut/puncture a centerfire primer.(!!) Wouldn't THAT be a bummer?!! Now you have to start wondering what they did with the firing pins on the combination sets (combining centerfire AND rimfire barrels to be used with the same action/firing pin. I've never had the opportunity to sit and stare at one of those, but I'll guess they did nothing---just left it rounded.

Last edited by rct269; 05-06-2017 at 12:03 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: