View Single Post

Old 05-05-2017, 11:47 PM
Administrator

Liked 48,750 Times in 9,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheelzip View Post
I know this is a zombie thread, but I was curious about the Young LT's story. I don't know whats been unearthed so far, but let me add the bit that I've dug up.

I think the gun belongs to the father of the man that's highlighted in the book
about that units military history. He was a very prominent citizen, listed in Who's Who of Canada.

The father also was retired from Canadian military service, with a LT rank in 1905.

As for the son, Arthur Marshall Irvine (I did not find a Jr. after his name), he attained the rank of Major in WWII, and was awarded an MBE from the British and an Orange Order from the Dutch, and lived at 243 York street Cornwall.

World War 2 Awards.com - IRVINE, Arthur Marshall

Some info on the father:

Arthur Marshall Irvine
Birthdate: July 12, 1881 (71)
Birthplace: Saint John, New Brunswick
Death: Died August 14, 1952 in Cornwall general Hosp., Cornwall, Ontario
Immediate Family:

Son of John Edward Irvine and Julia Elvira White
Husband of Lulah Louise Craibe
"I think the gun belongs to the father of the man that's highlighted in the book"

Possible, but I doubt it. The father left the Army in Apr, 1905, 11-1/2 years before this gun was shipped in Nov, 1916!. Maybe he went back in for WW I, but I doubt that also since he had become so prominent.
I recall seeing other Irvines in the Army in WW I, and I assumed one of them may have owned it, and gave it to young AM when he joined up.

I obtained Irvine's service record from Canada.
I knew he rose to Major, in very quick time as I recall. He was assigned to Bn Headquarters staff.
I don't remember much more. The record went with the gun.

Last edited by handejector; 05-06-2017 at 08:04 AM.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: