View Single Post

Old 05-06-2017, 09:16 AM

Liked 4,294 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTSH View Post
Exactly. They must be extremely popular and loved or there wouldn't be a zillion manufacturers still making them... right?

So while I don't understand the 1911 thing past the two Colts and the one "A2" that I own, who is to say that S&W didn't hit one out of the ballpark with their decision to go 1911 along with all the others?

My memory is (just ) good enough to remember the intro of the S&W 1911. At the time, it was a somewhat fresh approach to 1911 marketing. ( At least in MA where 1911 options were very limited.) Prior to this, most folks I knew bought a basic ( Colt, RIA, etc)1911 or frame and went to their local gunsmith to poured cash into it to get the reliability and usability upgrades deemed necessary for most buyers. ( Beavertail safety, ambi safety, opened ejection port, checkering, adjustable trigger, Upgrades sights and springs, upgraded mags...) Then there was S&W offering a 1911 that had it all done at a fraction of the cost of going custom. ( Paid $650 for mine as I recall) It was certainly enough to push me over the edge!

p.s. It must have worked because now, everybody coming back into the 1911 game ( RIA, Ruger, Remington, Sig, to name a few) offers a tricked out version at competitive prices.