View Single Post

Old 05-06-2017, 02:48 PM

Liked 17,102 Times in 6,271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonn View Post
Tell us a little more on the course you took. Thanks
OK, really not a course you can shoot with a .223/5.56 round though.

The class is a precision rifle course. It has ten distances; 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 550, 600, 650, 700 and 750 yards. From 100-300 yards, the target is a 3"x5" box simulating the cranial ocular cavity in a head. From 400-750 the target is approximately a 12" sideways D that simulates the thoracic cavity of an average person.

It's a 4 day class. The first three are filled with verifying your gear and learning the basics of shooting precision long distance. The morning of day four there is a test. One shot at each distance. It's very difficult. I had 9 shots on paper, but only 3 inside the intended locations.

In the afternoon we shot where the picture was taken. There are 10 targets (couldn't see three from where we were). We had to find the targets, calculate the range and then shoot them. Some were really hard just to find. The instructor put out an additional target that was camouflaged. We found it, but it was 1,400 yards and neither my friend nor I were able to hit it.

This class was simple, but humbling. If you think you can shoot long distance, this would really test you. Shooting at these distances is as much art as it is science. The wind is very difficult to judge and you need to be intimately familiar with your equipment. It can be done with a $400 scope, but you would want something better.