View Single Post

Old 05-07-2017, 07:41 PM

Liked 158 Times in 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by policerevolvercollector View Post
I went to my favorite LGS this morning to pick up some .44 Special ammo to feed my Bulldog (Charter Arms....that is!). I did my customary walk about and saw what was left of the police "property room" that yielded the nickle 36 and Model 48 that I posted about a few days ago.

They still have several Ruger Police Service Six models that was apparently a dept issue gun years ago, a Colt Trooper, and an Official Police .32-20 that I had seen on Wednesday afternoon.

As I was about to leave, after talking to one of the clerks for a while, I looked behind the counter on a little workbench where they install night sights etc.

"What's that over there?"
"Oh....just some grips. "
"No. What is that revolver laying under the cloth.?"
"That one came out the property room caked in dried mud so badly you almost couldn't tell what it was. We have been cleaning the outside of it and haven't done it internally yet. It's not out for sale. It's a real mess!"
"May I see it?"

He handed me the revolver. It was obviously very dirty inside. But, it functioned perfectly and locked up like a bank vault.

"What'll ya take "as-is"?
" We not finished cleaning it. I dunno. I'll ask the boss."

We walked over to the manager who I've done business with many times.

They leaned toward each other and spoke in hushed tones for 10-15 seconds.

The clerk asked " What's your offer?"

Using my best poker face, I said "In this shape.....$200".

The manager chimed in "There's a judge from the area where wee got it that wants it to restore. I'm not sure if we can ...."

I played my ace in the hole and reached in my pocket pulling out the money clip that contained my "gun fund" and held it up for him to see. This simple silent act spoke louder than words................ "He's not here. Now is he?"

The manager & I locked eyes like two cowboys about to duel on a dusty street in an old western move. Who would blink first???

He stated simply "I understand. Who you do $300?"

I nodded affirmatively. We did the paperwork and I left with a 4" P&R Model 58 from circa 1968. Serial # S 329xxx

Best,
Charles
I love basket cases such a wonderful way to pass the time
The Following User Likes This Post: