View Single Post

Old 05-07-2017, 09:46 PM

Liked 5,259 Times in 1,732 Posts
Default A Little Research

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolguy View Post
Yup - been there, done that. I thought is would be cool to have a 10 shot .22 Mag. Bored out the chambers, everything went great until I tried to load and shoot it. Then the rims had interference when side by side, so ended up with a 5 shot .22 Mag.
I did some research on this subject and found that with 90% of the 22 Mag ammo out there what you found is true. But, on inspection and careful measurement of 6 brands of 22 Mag I found that if one took several hundred individual Federal 22 Mags and measured all the rims with a good vernier mike there is about 20 to 25 % of the rims that are small enough to allow being chambered at the same time in a S&W 10 shot M 617 cylinder that has been re-chambered to 22 Mag. I thought that was too much sugar for a dime, so stopped right there with that experiment. I did find that the rim diameter of various 22 Mag depending on manufacturer varied far more than I would have guessed. I have thrown away my recorded notes, but seem to remember that one manufacturer varied from least to largest rim diameter by about 0.015" thru a sample of about 100 cartridges. ......

BTW; Tooguy, you still have a ten shot handgun. Some people I know regularly load 22 LR HV in 22 Mag chambers and get away with it. .... Just sayin'...........

Last edited by Big Cholla; 05-07-2017 at 09:48 PM.