Thread: Penetrating oil
View Single Post

Old 05-07-2017, 11:27 PM

Liked 3,595 Times in 1,521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu1ritter View Post
I learned about Kroil from some steam engine mechanics who were restoring the locomotives for the Catskill Mountain RR back in 1969. They bought it in 55 gal drums. I used it in my Mercedes repair shop for 30 years and never found anything better. I've tried the ATF/Acetone but you have to mix it fresh everytime since the acetone evaporates so rapidly. A single can of AeroKroil lasts an awfully long time and it is the same strength from beginning to end, if you shake the can.

Stu
My buddy, earlier in his career, managed 2 different power plants, one an aero-derivative frame 7 turbine generator, the other a massive IC diesel the size of a big house. They used Kroil by the drum, especially to disassemble and clean turbine wheels. It would cut through the carbon build-up and free stuff up.

We all use it on our boats these days.

Now, the ED's Red type home brew, after the acetone, MEK, kerosene, whatever eventually evaporates, you are still left with the Dexron, which is about 5W20 oil with a lot of detergents and anti oxidants in it. Just fine as a leave behind lubricant.

Last edited by Racer X; 05-07-2017 at 11:30 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: