View Single Post

Old 05-08-2017, 01:11 PM
Banned

Liked 4,324 Times in 1,793 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by American1776 View Post
"If you can't afford quality, then you can by a Ruger, etc., Hi-point".
Where does he say that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by American1776
Suppose I were writing a piece on automobiles, and I said, 'You could buy a quality car like a Mercedes or a BMW, or you can go cheap and get a chevrolete.' That's an imprecise use of language, since the corvette isn't a cheap car buy most standards.
I would actually agree. In order to match the performance of a base Corvette, you'd need an SL65 or an S63--both of which MSRP in the $145k-$155k range, or roughly three times the price of the Corvette. Hence, the Corvette is cheap.

Here, maybe pictures will help. Below is a little snap from Top Gear. On the left is an Aston Martin Vanquish. In the middle, a Lexus LFA. To far right, a Dodge Viper.

The Viper is the fastest of the three, and like the Corvette/AMG comparison, you can buy three Vipers for the price of one Vanquish or LFA.

Hence, it's cheap.

Or is it really that important that the word "Ruger" is never mentioned in the same breath as "Hi-Point"?

Quote:
As to the all-steel revolver point you made: Rossi makes all steel revolvers for under 300 bucks: cheaper than a polymer glock. So yes, some all steel revolvers are cheaper than a glock, and Rugers do not fit that category.
Is the Rossi of the same quality as a Glock? Does it carry the same warranty?

Or how about the real elephant in the room--the DA revolvers sold under the Rossi name are manufactured by Taurus. Would you compare a rebranded Taurus to a Glock?

Me, I think Ruger's steel offerings are decent-enough. Utilitarian, a bit like the Glock. In other words, you do lose a little something not getting a Smith. I'm not a big fan of their 1911s, although I know some are. The price differential between them and an entry-level Springfield isn't enough to justify the trade. To be fair to the Ruger, however, the Springfield frames are made in Brazil (by a high-quality manufacturer, not by Taurus) and the gun is simply assembled here. The Ruger is fully American-made, which of course carries a cost.

I definitely think that the polymer Rugers leave something to be desired, especially the LC9 and LC380. But again, the LC9 is marginally smaller than the late-to-market Glock 43, and size does require compromise in reliability, even today.