View Single Post

Old 05-08-2017, 02:09 PM

Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkStar81 View Post
Unfortunately, I am thinking about swapping to a glock because I only care about home defense, and the bottom falling out on everything. If it does, I only want to have one type of ammunition to be concerned about. Carrying multiple cal doesn't work well for that...

Hell, give me a a damn SD adapter kit for a basic 5.56 lower. I'm sure that we can find an upper AR9 to fit. Or my noob *** could be completely wrong on that part. Wouldn't be a first.
Well, if the bottom really falls out on everything, it won't be like the Night of the Living Dead, more likely the National Guard and Army units everywhere, curfew, armored vehicles on intersections, and the total ban on guns.

Anyway, to me a likely SHTF situation is something localized - someone breaking into your house, or a rioting crowd. Ferguson or New Orleans.

My #1 defense against both would be geography.

That said, a Glock is - IMHO - a significantly better SD weapon for inside the house than an AR, and possibly even better than a shotgun.

It easier to quickly maneuver in tight spaces, easier to control, easier to keep locked up yet quickly available, the 9mm SD round is plenty powerful at short distances, and I never felt that a 17 rd mag didn't give me enough firepower. And you can of course go with .40 or 45 or even 10mm if you feel you need a bazooka.

Where a long gun is more desirable is in case of a violent riot, when you're trying to keep assailants from entering your home in first place. At the range I can reliably hit the target with my G17 at 50 yards, but it's significantly easier to do with a rifle, especially when your heart is pumping at double the rate. But again, realistically, you're not going to have battlefield-like shootouts at extended ranges, so a shotgun may again be the preferred solution - with slugs, it's accurate enough to at least 100 yards, and when loaded with shot, it's a very deadly weapon at short to medium range.

I honestly don't see much added value in a 9mm carbine as a HD weapon over a good 9mm pistol. For fun & plinking, sure. But for HD, my preferred gun is my G17 or G26, since I own both. If I could only have one, I'd get a G26 and a couple 17 rd mags. A lot of people, myself included, shoot G26 as well as the full size G17.

But then, what would a $700 AR15 9mm carbine offer over a $300 Hi-Point 9mm carbine ?

Last edited by Wanderling; 05-08-2017 at 02:13 PM.